A Homa Bay MCA will miss sittings for three months and pay a Sh70,000 fine for breaking the Assembly mace.
Joan Ogada of Kojwach ward was found guilty of violating Assembly rules and will be required to issue a public apology to her colleagues.
The mace, which is the Assembly's symbol of authority, was broken during a scuffle over committee positions on January 29.
This was after some MCAs accused the Speaker of prejudice against some members during the special sitting.
On Tuesday, MCAs unanimously adopted the Powers and Privileges committee report recommending the punishment.
The committee is chaired by Speaker Elizabeth Ayoo who was injured in the fight.
The MCAs differed with their colleagues and the Speaker for allegedly calling the sitting to remove several committee chairpersons and their deputies.
The Speaker had introduced a motion to remove the committee heads which was opposed by some MCAs who started shouting.
It was then that Ogada grabbed the mace.
"Madam Speaker, we cannot allow you to conduct proceedings contrary to Standing Orders. This motion cannot proceed," Ogada shouted as she walked away with the mace.
She was wrestled down by the members who supported the motion but in the process the mace was broken.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.