US President Donald Trump has sacked Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, replacing him with the director of the CIA, Mike Pompeo.
Thanking Tillerson for his service on Twitter, Trump said the new state secretary would do "a fantastic job".
Tillerson, a former chief executive of ExxonMobil, was only appointed to the job just over a year ago.
Tillerson had just returned to the US from his first African tour.
He visited Djibouti and Ethiopia before arriving in Kenya on Friday evening.
Tillerson met President Uhuru Kenyatta at State House on the same day.
He, however, cancelled scheduled events on Saturday on the second day of a visit to Kenya because "he was not feeling well", a State Department spokesman said.
"The secretary is not feeling well after a long couple days working on major issues back home such as North Korea and has cancelled his events for the day," spokesman Steve Goldstein said.
He was also to attend an event to highlight US health assistance in Africa, and meet NASA leader Raila Odinga as well.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.