Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko has embarked on a call-in program for residents to inform him on matters affecting them.
Via Twitter on Tuesday, the Governor issued the number 0722 886600 and asked residents to feel free to text or call on urgent issues.
"I will be receiving calls from 5.50am to 7.30am, '' he said in a tweet.
Sonko asked the residents to send him a message in case the number is busy so he can call back later.
The plan elicited mixed reactions from Kenyans on Twitter. While most people lauded the action, others termed it as PR stunt.
'@Wesleykibetkor1' said: "If all Governors could be smart like you, then Kenya could be great. Nice work."
'@Rhamuman said: "Please share the contacts of each CEC and Chief Officers for easier accessibility"
"This has impressed me. I wish other Governors could pick this. Service delivery would be improved," Omollo Junior, a Twitter user, said.
But '@Edibiq' said dismissed the initiative as a public relations stunt.
'@dankasesh' added: " [Stop the] PR stunts. I tried getting to you and was told the mail box was full. Anyway, we have serious water problems in South C."
Some Twitter users cited water shortage, garbage collection, the hawkers menace and high charges for trade licences as the city's main problems.
Most commentators complained of flooding with the ongoing rains.
Last month, the Governor reshuffled the county Cabinet in an effort to quicken the city's growth.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.