A section of Embu lawmakers are demanding immediate reinstatement of former Kenya forests director Emilio Mugo.
Mugo was suspended on Monday over the ongoing destruction of forests.
The leaders led by Embu senator Njeru Ndwiga termed the action by environment CS Keriako Tobiko a "public dress down of government officials without the due process".
“Our concern is in the manner and language that has been adopted by the policymakers in the sector led by the new CS, Keriako Tobiko. Of concern is the issuance of directives to staff through the press,” the leaders said in a joint statement.
The lawmakers said they do not support wrongdoing and incompetence but stressed the need to follow due process and avoid witch-hunting.
“The Kenya Forest Service is currently led by one of the gallant sons of Embu, one Emilio Mugo. To us, the speed and manner in which the whole issue is being pushed is totally unethical,” Ndwiga said.
Muranga woman representative Sabina Chege asked the CS not to misuse his office barely two weeks after taking over the docket.
“Do not embarrass the president; work closely with those you find in various offices. You must allow these officials to do their work,” she said.
The elected leaders, however, commended the government for the moratorium on timber harvesting.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.