A seven-year-old girl was crushed to death in Mogotio, Baringo county on Thursday while fetching firewood for use in their school kitchen.
The standard three pupil of Chepnyorkin primary school was in the accompany of her colleagues when a huge stone rolled from a hill killing her instantly.
Mogotio OCPD Peter Nyangaresi confirmed the 2pm incident.
Chief Julius Baskwony of Kaibos-Soi location said the girls may have been trying to climb to the top of the rocky hill to reach a point with plenty of firewood.
"A loose rock rolled and unfortunately fell one her," Baskwony said adding that the area has been experiencing rains which has loosened the ground holding the rocks.
The chief cautioned residents against walking around the hills during the rainy season to avoid such accidents.
He said cases of rocks falling off are common in parts of Tugen highlands, Mochongoi, and Eldama-Ravine.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.