High Court judge David Majanja is right in faulting the Government Chemist for slowing down cases in court that require DNA sampling (see P38).
The Chemist’s tardy response in providing results has led to cases related to defilement, sodomy, rape and murder dragging on for years.
In some cases, suspects are held over long periods in the cells which, as the judge said, is both unfair and unlawful.
The Chemist is a key part of forensic investigations in Kenya, including the food sector, some of which are very urgent.
DNA testing and results ought to be available at the county level or nearer facilities nationwide. It is unacceptable for rape, murder and paternity suspects to be held too long or walk away scot-free across Kenya because the Government Chemist is slow and or incompetent.
The Government Chemist and those who oversee the institution should assess the convenience of its services and effectiveness the whole of this year at the end of which the oversight authorities should act on their findings.
The clients of the Chemist — scientists, regulators, enforcement agencies, industry and policymakers across all sectors — require professional and authoritative services.
Yet, just like other failing government services, the Chemist is often without crucial materials, rendering its critical services precarious and uncertain.
Quote of the Day: "Justice, sir, is the great interest of man on earth. It is the ligament which holds civilized beings and civilized nations together." — American statesman Daniel Webster endorsed the Compromise of 1850 on March 7, 1850.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.