Trans Nzoia Governor Patrick Khaemba on Saturday asked IEBC chairman Wafula Chebukati to prevent politicians from early campaigns.
Khaemba said some elected leaders have already started 2022 campaigns which he said is unfair.
He said Trans Nzoia is notorious in early campaigns.
He spoke on Saturday when the IEBC boss paid him a courtesy call in his office in Kitale.
On Thursday, Khaemba lashed out at Kiminini MP Chris Wamalwa who is campaigning to succeed him in 2022, a move that the governor is uncomfortable with.
Khaemba said Wamalwa is fond of tainting his name at funeral meetings.
Khaemba also suggested that the IEBC should hold County and national elections differently.
“The time given for hearing of presidential petition should also be extended from 14 to at least 30 days,” Khaemba said.
Chebukati said the commission will look into the recommendations and get the way of implementing them.
“It is true that what the people of Trans Nzoia have told my team through the governor is important and I agree that conducting six elections in one day is a challenge, “Chebukati said.
He said he will also sit with experts to put laws that will see the commission punish early campaigners.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.