Managers should create ongoing relationships with stakeholders for better performance. This was the message during the Good Governance for Good Citizenship Summit in Nairobi.
Participants were, however, told there is no satisfactory method to measure relationships in organisations and therefore, no basis for creating relational key performance indicators or measuring relational performance in organisations.
“Kenya has advanced among African nations in executing corporate governance policies,” Institute of Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya chairman Tom Omariba said.
The King Report on Corporate Governance reveals effective organisational strategy requires that management understands the needs, interests and expectations of stakeholders. Joshua Wathanga, the chairman of the Hesabika Trust, said corporate governance represents the inclusivity stakeholders need.
“The increasing pay equivalence among organisations in African countries with over 500:1 pay equality between the CEO and lowest paid employee is an indicator of social injustice and should be addressed in corporate governance,” economist Michael Schluter said.
Mervyn King, a former Justice of the Supreme Court of South Africa said corporate governance should be holistic.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.