Hundreds of women who turned up for KDF recruitment in Samburu sub-county were shocked after learning no slots were reserved for them.
They said they were turned away at Kenyatta Stadium in Maralal town on Tuesday yet they arrived very early to participate in the exercise.
‘’I came here very early in the morning looking for a military job but I was told women would not be selected. They told us to come next time,” Mercy Lolki said.
Lolki said she had been optimistic as she had missed three chances.
"My age is advancing so I doubt I will qualify next time," she said.
Recruiting officer Lieutenant Colonel Richard Onyango said the women will be considered them next time as slots were reserved for those from Baragoi.
But the hopefuls Kenya Defence Forces of infringing on their right to employment.
Franka Lekeres noted Samburu is a hardship area so women are used to performing tough duties and barely struggle.
‘’We have a lot of problems and can do any job and work all over the country. I even know how to hold a gun," she said.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.