Police in Ol Kalou are investigating whether the death of a 59-year-old woman was murder or suicide.
Veronica Wangui’s body was found dangling from the roof of her chicken coop yesterday. “We got the information and moved to the scene, but there was alama ya dukuduku (gaps). The information we got is not enough,” Nyandarua Central OCPD Wilson Kosgei said.
Wangui was the mother of senior county engineer David Wagaiyu, who says he saw his mother alive when he left for work. The only other adult at the home was Mercy Njambi, Wangui’s 21-year-old niece who found the body.
Kosgei said although the bed was not made, there were signs of disturbance in the bedroom. The Star observed that unlike other suicide scenes where the noose is pulled taut around the neck, the rope had been tied twice around Wangui’s neck.
Her head was nearly touching the overhead beam and there was barely six inches between the beam and the rope around her neck. Her feet were about one metre from the ground. Another rope tied to the beam touched the ground, three feet from the body.
“I have visited very many suicide scenes, but this one leaves a lot of questions. This is a puzzle,” Kosgei said. “We can’t buy the idea that she had a mental problem. Somebody can take advantage of that and commit a crime. That question must be answered by the investigators,” Kosgei said.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.