A major standoff is looming over the nomination of members to the Parliamentary Service Commission as elections take place today.
MPs from the
coalition's affiliate parties yesterday differed over the decision by Kalonzo Musyoka's Wiper to front Borabu MP Ben
Momanyi to one of the seats.
Addressing the media at Parliament Buildings, they said coalition leaders were not consulted. The MPs include Godfrey Osotsi (nominated), Ahmed Kolish (Wajir West), Mark Nyamita (Uriri) and Janet Ong’era (Kisii).
MPs will elect seven members to the PSC. Yesterday, the Jubilee Parliamentary Group meeting chaired by
President Uhuru Kenyatta and Deputy President William Ruto resolved to kick out some NASA nominees.
Osotsi said Kalonzo wrote to Speaker Justin Muturi approving Momanyi's nomination. “We had agreed on the issue of sharing of PSC slots but Kalonzo decided to write to the Speaker, without consulting the coalition parties,” he said.
"Instead of accepting the letter,
Muturi should have withdrawn that process and reverted back to the
Uriri said: “The
only thing we are awaiting from Wiper is when Kalonzo will be sworn
in. The Speaker should not receive any letter except from NASA as a
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.