Members of Parliament on Wednesday approved the nine nominees for appointment as Cabinet Secretaries.
The session was entirely a Jubilee affair as opposition MPs boycotted the sittings.
The approval now paves way for President Uhuru Kenyatta to appoint the officials who will join their other Cabinet colleagues who were re-appointed.
The nominees are Margaret Kobia (Public Service and Youth), John Munyes (Mining), Farida Karoney (Lands), Peter Munya (East African Community), and Monica Juma (Foreign Affairs).
Others are former DPP Keriako Tobiko (Environment and Forestry), Simon Chelugui (Water), former Marsabit Governor Ukur Yatani (Labour) and Rashid Achesa (Sports).
Majority Leader Aden Duale , who moved the motion, said there is no need to focus on academic qualifications at the expense of candidates' ability to perform.
"It is not about the PhD you have or the prestigious university one attends," he said.
This was in reference to Achesa’s academic qualifications which have sparked varied views from Kenyans across the country.
The MPs appeared to follow in the footsteps of the vetting committee which totally avoided questioning Achesa about his academic background.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.