Nasa principal Kalonzo Musyoka is best described as a traitor for skipping Raila Odinga's swearing-in, Machakos Governor Alfred Mutua has said.
Mutua said on Wednesday that the Wiper boss failed to show solidarity with Raila, "who really needed him by his side".
He said Kalonzo has since been pulling PR stunts to try explaining why he skipped Raila's January 30 inauguration as the People's President.
"That does not change the fact that he went missing on the D-Day," said Mutua, who is Maendeleo Chap Chap party leader.
"What Kalonzo did on that day is not something a leader with focus and determination can do. He is not a leader with a stand thus he does not deserve any leadership. We know him; it is neother the first time nor the second ... that is his nature," he said during a Radio Jambo interview.
The Governor further said Kalonzo's move portrayed the Akamba as traitors yet he is the one who did not show up.
"Wakamba ni watu wa msimamo. Yale Kalonzo alifanya hiyo siku ... ni yeye, sio sisi. Tunamjua kwa sababu sio mara ya kwanza. Kiongozi lazima awe na msimamo kufa kupona. Lazime awe mstari wa mbele kwa hivyo tusidharauliwe kama Wakamba," he said.
This loosely translates to: "The Akamba are people who take stands. What Kalonzo did ... it was him, not us. We know him because that wasn't the first time. A leader must have a stand when the matter is of life and death. He must be in the front line, so the Akamba should not be despised."
Mutua further said Kalonzo cannot tell his supporters that they agreed that Raila be sworn-in first yet ODM complained that Kalonzo's party was not showing solidarity with the movement.
"A leader who does not fight on the front line deserves no leadership. Kalonzo should get out of these cat and rat gimmicks he is subjecting the Kamba nation to."
The county chief noted the people have been branded "all sorts of names just by association with Kalonzo" and that it is time to change that.
But Mutua earlier dismissed the inauguration of Raila and Kalonzo saying it was a recipe for chaos. He said Kenyans should learn from the experiences of their war-torn neighbours.
The party leader also said: "This swearing-in business by NASA is another example of why some people consider our continent to be a shithole continent. How do you get sworn-in when a tough Chief Justice [David Maraga] has already sworn-in another leader? Only in Africa. Shame!"
Kalonzo, Musalia Mudavadi (Amani National Congress) and Bungoma Senator Moses Wetang'ula (Ford Kenya) did not attend Raila's ceremony on grounds that they were under house arrest.
They have been dismissed by the public as cowards and traitors amid questions about the stability of the National Super Alliance.
The Wiper boss has said several times that he is not a coward and that he would back Raila over and over again.
He noted taking an oath is easy but that the coalition has to address key issues before he becomes the People's Deputy President.
Kalonzo told his supporters that without proper consultations, President Uhuru Kenyatta's Jubilee Party might 'pounce' on him and scuttle his 2022 presidential bid.
"We need serious analysis of the situation before I take the oath. We are not afraid,” he said in Athi River when he closed a Wiper Women's League forum.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.