Five people were charged in Turkana on Monday with defrauding residents by claiming to be members of the Mau Mau Governing Council.
Joseph Ngacha, Omete Nyanchoka, Moses Ketira, John Koele and Godfrey Kebo Lowett were apprehended on January 27.
They are accused of collection money from residents of Lokapapaparai village in Turkana Central with the promise of ensuring their compensation.
"The five men, with others not before the court, pretended to be members of Mau Mau war fighters council and obtained Sh2,000 from each resident of Lokapapaparai, claiming it was [the cost of] registration for compensation," said Lodwar magistrate Christine Wekesa.
The five did not take plea, the magistrate saying 1,000 victims had not given their statements at Lodwar police station.
They were remanded until February 20 when the case will be heard.
Villager Lodite Longorio told The star on Tuesday that he was conned out of Sh4,900.
"I didn't hesitate to give them the money after we had a long conversation. I was convinced they were from the council."
He said the suspects had certificates and documents that backed their claims.
The council demanded compensation from the British government for atrocities committed during the fight of independence.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.