A 50-year-old businessman from Ihithe village in Tetu constituency yesterday hung himself thinking he had killed his wife during a quarrel.
Maina Maranga allegedly slashed his wife Susan Wanjiku with a panga and she became unconscious. Thinking he had killed her, he hung himself. Locals took Wanjiku to hospital. Maranga ran a matatu business in Nyeri.
Police boss Job Lesinikwa said Maranga could have hung himself for fear of being lynched by locals.
A neigbour said the couple quarrelled constantly. Wanjiku was admitted at Nyeri Outspan Hospital in critical condition.
Maranga’s body was moved to the Nyeri Referral Hospital mortuary. There has been a rise in couples injuring, and in worst case scenarios, killing their partners following arguments.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.