During a busy and buzzling ceremony in Nairobi, the Human Rights Defender of the Year Awards were handed out for the second time.
Out of many good nominations, three winners were chosen by an independent selection panel for their outstanding human rights work.
Upcoming HRD of the Year award went to Dr Kizzie Shako, HRD of the Year to Elias Kimaiyo, and Lifetime Achievement award to Njeri Kabeberi.
The selection panel consisted of eminent representatives of the human rights community, chaired by former CJ Willy Mutunga.
Criteria included demonstrable impact on the community, civil courage, leadership, innovation and creativity.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.