The Sh15 million fogging machines deployed by the Mombasa government early this month to get rid of mosquitoes are ineffective, residents have said.
The county has been fighting an outbreak of the chikungunya virus, which is spread by mosquitoes. On January 9, the county presented five fogging machines, a technology that Governor Hassan Joho said was adopted from Malaysia to control the outbreak.
Joho had said the machines would be taken round the six subcounties to spray and eliminate chikungunya.
“These machines are modern and sophisticated. If we take them to the villages, we are assured of positive results,” he had said
But most residents have said purchase of the machines was a waste. Likoni resident Hamisi Tunza on Tuesday said the machines are useless as the chemicals evaporate, while the mosquitoes still bother residents.
“The machines do not have a positive effect. The fog only drives the mosquitoes away for a short time. The government should look for a lasting solution,” he said. Tunza also said residents fear the fog might cause
Joho had reassured residents that the fog from the machines would not result in health problems. “The smoke is just like having Doom sprayed in your house, the effect is the same,”
Resident Hamisi Omar congratulated the county government, saying it is doing its best to ensure chikungunya
“The disease has been contained. The county government should increase those services to save the society,” he said.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.