Nyanza local artists snubbed renowned Benga artist Gabriel Omolo’s funeral. The ‘Lunchtime’ hit maker was laid to rest at his home in Ugunja constituency on Saturday with no presence of artists from the region.
The region boasts of many renowned Benga artists including Emma Jalamo, John Junior, Would Fibi, Odhiambo Tusker and Prince Yindah Ogina Koko. Other artists who hail from the region include Musa Jakadala, Kofi Mcadori, Dr Osito Kale, Oginga woud Awasi, Princess Julie, Suzanna Owiyo and Octopizzo.
Locals who waited in the sun hoping to have a glance of their local artists were disappointed when none showed up. Some asked where Emma Jalamo and John Junior, who hail a stone-throw away from Omollo’s home - were. None sent apologies or a representative. NASA leader Raila Odinga was expected to attend, but was held up in Nairobi.
He sent Siaya Governor Cornel Rasanga to represent him and pass his apologies to Omolo’s family and friends. Aside from the no-show, the funeral went on as planned with many locals and fans in adttendance.
With no local artists, the villagers made do with unfamiliar artists from other areas. The artists travelled from Ukambani, Kiambu, Coast and Western.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.