Cherangany MP Joshua Kuttuny wants the government to write off the Sh400 million debt owed by Trans Nzoia farmers.
Kuttuny noted the amount owed by central coffee farmers was written off three months ago. He said there shouldn't be regional discrimination in the delivery of services to members of the public.
“We are in the government so our people should start realising the benefits of voting for Jubilee,” he said during a funeral in Tuigoin on Saturday.
“Just like the president [Uhuru Kenyatta] wrote off the debts of coffee farmers in central, the debts of those in this region should also be cancelled. Army works and poor climate conditions resulted in poor yields."
He noted that once the Sh400 million that financial institutions are owed is cancelled, the farmers will collect the title deeds they gave as security.
“Farmers lose money every season repaying the loans. The president should help us in scrapping off the debt through the national debt write off programme."
Uhuru launched the programme in 2011 while he was the minister for finance.
Two months ago, he wrote off the Sh2 billion central coffee farmers owed while touring Kirinyaga county.
Also read: Uhuru waives Sh1.5 bn owed to AFC by farmers
Treasury released Sh797 million to eight financial institutions and unions which gave farmers loans as part of the programme.
In the last financial year, the government allocated Sh500 million to the debt write off programme.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.