One person was killed and police officers injured when suspected al Shabaab militants ambushed buses in Lamu on Saturday morning.
The buses were on their way to Malindi and Mombasa when the attack took place at about 11am.
The attackers opened fire on the police officers who were escorting the convoy. Two of their vehicles were torched during the attack.
Police spokesperson Mwenda Njoka said they had not established the number of militants who were kiilled.
Njoka added that more security agents were sent to the location - Nyongoro area between Gamba and Lango la Simba.
"Immediately after the attack happened, a contingent of airborne and ground troops was dispatched from the Boni Enclave Campaign centre."
"Swift action by the security team ensured the buses drove past the ambush area safely and without further casualties."
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.