Turkana Governor Josphat Nanok is leading a Kenyan delegation to Uganda for negotiations on peace and unity.
At least 15 people died while more than 28 were injured in recent attacks at the borders of Turkana county.
Among those who accompanied the Council of Governors chairman are MPs and county executives from Turkana and West Pokot. Saturday was their fourth day of talks.
Security has deteriorated in parts of Turkana including Lokichogio, Kibish, Kainuk and Kapedo. Cattle have been stolen in many of the cross-border attacks.
On November 4 last year, nine people including three police officers and the Turkana East education director were killed at Lomelo near Kapedo by suspected Pokot bandits. The bandits ambushed their AP vehicle while they were on patrol.
Driver Amos Maina was shot in the abdomen but managed to reach the AP camp at Lomelo.
On October 14, six people were killed and 18 injured in a raid at Lokichogio Mixed Secondary school.
The attack resulted from a quarrel between a Kenyan and a South Sudanese student who was on a revenge mission.
After he was suspended for misconduct, he returned with friends who attacked the watchman and students,
The boy was arrested and taken to Kakuma police station but a mob attacked the station, killed him and burned his body.
On December 19, 19 people died in an accident at Loruk on Marigat-Kapedo road. It is believed the accident resulted from an attack by Pokot bandits.
More on this: Turkana school closed indefinitely after seven killed
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.