The Education ministry has extended the reporting deadline for Form Ones to Wednesday, January 17.
The admissions were supposed to be finalized on Friday, January 12.
Basic Education PS Belio Kipsang said in a statement that this was to allow schools more time to enroll more students.
“Due to overwhelming turn up of students in some regions, and slow turn up especially in Coast region, and being considerate not to lock out any child, the cabinet secretary has authorized the extension,” Kipsang said on Saturday.
On Friday, acting Education CS Fred Matiang’i expressed concern over low Form One uptake in the Coast region.
He cited the example of Kwale County where only 754 students had reported by Friday against 5,568 available vacancies.
The CS spoke while addressing county commissioners and security officers at the Kenya School of Government, Nairobi.
Kipsang said replacements for students who fail to take up their slots by the end of Wednesday will be done on Friday, January 19.
The move is part of government's efforts to achieve a 100 percent transition of students from primary to secondary schools.
“Those selected during the replacement exercise will be expected to report by January 23,” he said.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.