Kenya Airways will offer the fastest connection from East Africa to the USA, with a 15-hour flight westbound and 14 hours eastbound.
This was revealed yesterday when the national carrier launched bookings for the inaugural flight from Nairobi to John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York in USA slated for October 28, 2018. Economy class ticket is going for Sh106,365.
The flight will depart every day from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi at 2325 hours arriving at JFK airport in New York at 06:25 the following day. From NewYork it will depart at 12:25 landing at JKIA at 10:55 the following day.
The ultra-long-haul flight, unique to Kenya Airways network, will require four pilots and 12 flight attendants as well as 85 tonnes of fuel each way, making it an exceptional operation.
The airline will operate its state of the art Boeing 787 Dreamliner with a capacity of 234 passengers.
CEO Sebastian Mikosz (pictured) described direct flights between the two countries a phenomenon, saying that it completes an essential piece for Kenya Airways’ network, cementing its position as one of the leading African carriers.
“This is an exciting moment for us. It fits within our strategy to attract corporate and high-end tourism traffic from the world to Kenya and Africa. We are honoured to contribute to the economic growth of Kenya and East Africa.” said Kenya Airways Group Managing Director and CEO Sebastian Mikosz.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.