Mandera Governor Ali Roba will know his fate on February 28 when the court will give judgement on a petition challenging his August 8 victory.
Justice Fred Ochieng who is handling the case set the date after all parties made final submissions.
Roba's election is being challenged by his rival Hassan Noor Hassan who says that the elections were marred by massive irregularities.
On December 18 last year, the court ordered a scrutiny of forms 37A.
Also scrutinized were SD cards used at three polling stations namely Al-Hidaya, Olla Primary school, and Sukela Tinfa.
In the petition filed against the IEBC, county returning officer David Maro and Roba, Noor says the electoral process was marred with grave irregularities that substantially affected the outcome of the governor’s race.
Noor claims the IEBC abdicated its duty of conducting a fair election and manipulated the process in favour of Roba who vied on a Jubilee ticket.
His claim is that the electronic voting system was tampered with to give his rival undeserved victory.
He also cites differences between the declared results and those captured in forms 37A.
Further, he says some forms were not procedurally signed.
But Roba says the claims of Irregularities has not been proved and the petition should be dismissed with cost.
STAR COMMUNITY POLICY AND PARTICIPATION GUIDLINES
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.