Director General Communications Authority Francis Wangusi has been sent on compulsory leave allegedly over gross misconduct.
Wangusi was on Friday forced to take leave following a decision by the board.
Close sources said Wangusi was forced to take leave pending investigations into what is said to be malpractice in staff training and promotions at the regulator.
The board that met on Friday evening was convened by the chairman Ngene Kariuki.
The regulator, however, is yet to issue a statement on the matter.
Wangusi, who has been at loggerheads with Media Owners following the forced migration to digital TV was re-appointed director general for a term of four years in 2015.
He was the man tasked with putting out several industry fires over the years - among them the question of Safaricom's dominant position and the CA's award of a 4G License to Jamii Telecommunications Limited (JTL).
Airtel, Kenya’s second-biggest telco after Safaricom, has in the past hit out at the sector regulator saying its failure to act on the dominance debate was hurting the smaller operators.
His compulsory leave will see him stay out of office pending further investigations into the allegations.
In 2015 it had also been rumoured Wangusi had been sent on compulsory leave pending the expiry of his first term as CA’s Director General allegations he strongly denied.