Interior CS Fred Matiang'i has ordered that all staff at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport undergo a mandatory customer care training.
"All airport staff will undergo customer care training at Utalii College, a seven-day crash programme to ensure that we improve service delivery," he said.
The CS said everything must be done to ensure operations at Kenya's largest airport are streamlined.
"We want to ensure order and that this place is secure. When you visit Kenya...this is your first contact with Kenya so it must be worth the while of everyone who comes into the country."
Matiang'i was among three Cabinet Secretaries who made an impromptu visit to the airport at around 5.30am on Wednesday.
The others were James Macharia (Transport) and Najib Balala (Tourism).
Matiang'i further ordered the vetting of taxi operators at JKIA, saying the sector must be streamlined in the next 100 days.
This impromptu tour came just days after Kenyans went on social media with complaints of long delays at the international arrivals section.
Many complained that a large number of immigration and customs desks were unmanned, resulting in crowding at the airport.
Kenya is due for inspection later in the year to allow the final step towards the launch of direct flights to the US.
Kenya Airways is set to launch online booking for direct flights on Thursday, ahead of the launch in October.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.