Kitui people will wake up to trying times in 2018 as the county is staring at a serious food crisis.
County National Drought Management Authority coordinator Francis Koma yesterday said a large population of residents will be struggling to put food on the table.
“Kitui people are not waking up nicely in 2018 in terms of food security. There is massive crop failure across the county due to failed rains,” Koma told the Star on the phone.
He said the October-December rains came late and did not last long to sustain the crops.
Koma said more than 90 per cent of the crops, including the normally drought resistant cow peas and green grams, wilted.
On Friday, Kitui Governor Charity Ngilu expressed fears that failed rains could hurt an anticipated bumper harvest of green grams.
Through a project to promote green grams as Kitui’s cash crop, Ngilu in October launched the Ndengu Revolution programme.
The initiative is being implemented in conjunction with the Kenya Red Cross Society.
It will cost Sh200 million.
Through the programme, farmers are getting free seeds and pesticides.
Ngilu recently assured residents that despite the massive crop failure, no person in Kitui will starve.
She said her government is committed to meet the water and food needs of residents as captured in her pre-election five-pillar manifesto.
“No one in Kitui will suffer hunger. I’m on top of things and I will make sure measures are put in place to cushion all residents from the pangs of hunger,” Ngilu said. She said her administration has distributed certified green gram seeds to more than 200 households.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.