Al Shabaab militants are now using beautiful women as spies against security personnel involved in the Linda Boni operation in Lamu, the Star has learnt.
Officers, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the women seek sexual relationships with them with the aim of getting their secrets.
Curiously, al Shabaab launches attacks barely two days after the women are seen in the area.
"They visit villages close to our camps to attract us. They know it is our biggest weakness," a GSU officer said.
Linda Boni operation director Joseph Kanyiri said he was aware of the terrorists new tactics.
"They are using every available trick to spy on officers. But we are alert," Kanyiri said.
He said the trick had been tried by the terrorists before. "Last year, we arrested two women in Kiunga, who were spying for the terror group," Kanyiri said.
Officers have been told to be suspicious of women who make advances towards them.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.