Police will use maximum force against railway line vandals, Makueni county commissioner Mohammed Maalim has warned.
He said they have enhanced surveillance to ensure safety of property and travellers along the SGR.
"We want to warn every one against railway vandalism, we will use maximum force and you know the consequences," he told journalists.
He spoke at the Mtito Andei SGR station after a meeting with security officials.
"Securing SGR is no longer left to police only. We have the chiefs and their assistants and all other national government officers who are also required to ensure the railway line is not interfered with at their areas of administration," Maalim said.
He also said grazing along the railway line is also prohibited.
In May, there was outrage after President Uhuru Kenyatta said SGR vandals will be hanged.
He made the remarks after a section of the new line was damaged by unknown people in Mariakani.
Pictures showed a gap in a section of the guardrail, an incident that resulted in claims of sabotage.
Engineers scurried to carry out repairs before the launch and the four suspects who were later arrested will be charged with organised crime, DPP Keriako Tobiko said.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.