Machakos Governor Alfred Mutua has announced he will vie for the Presidency in 2022.
Mutua defeated Wiper candidate Wavinya Ndeti to retain his seat, a win that is currently being challenged in court.
Speaking in Mombasa yesterday, the leader of Maendeleo Chap Chap leader said aged leaders should vacate political stage. His statement was a stinging attack on opposition leader Raila Odinga who has dominated the political scene for over five decades.
The former government spokesperson said his track record will make his 2022 win "inevitable".
"I'm planning to shock this country Kenya in the next few years," he said.
"I will show you what I'm capable of doing."
Mutua's steady rise especially after the formation of MCC party threatened Kalonzo Musyoka's grip in Ukambani region, pundits said. This was based on the fact that Wiper, Kalonzo's party, performed dismally in 2017 polls.
Kalonzo is the NASA co-principal and running mate to opposition leader Raila.
Mutua spoke during 13th annual primary heads meet held in Mombasa
He has been a Jubilee "darling" and his declaration is likely to spark feud with Deputy President William Ruto who is targeting the vote-rich Eastern.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.