A company director has been charged with marrying two wives and assaulting his first wife.
Abdulaziz Mohammed, 41, denied the charges on Thursday before Milimani senior principal magistrate Martha Mutuku.
The McFrys fast food chain owner is said to have married Wahida Nur in an Islamic ceremony on November 19, 2010 while still married to Priti Khimji.
Mohammed married Khimji on July 18, 1996 at Sheria House.
The prosecution said Mohammed's marriage to Khimji was monogamous and was solemnised by the Registrar of Marriage.
When Khimji found out about the second marriage, the couple fought and Mohammed is accused of assaulting her on October 28.
He is out on a Sh30,000 cash bail and the case will be heard on March 16, 2018.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.