Unrest forced Opposition leader Raila Odinga to travel to Zanzibar on Sunday night, his adviser Salim Lone has said.
"The unrest pushed Odinga out of the country. He left Kenya and is now in Zanzibar, off the coast of mainland Tanzania," Lone told the New York Times on Monday.
The NASA chief arrived to a grand welcome from the US on Sunday but tear gas and shootings followed.
Tension carried on over the weekend and on Sunday, police fired teargas to disperse a crowd that was protesting against the murder of five people in Riverside near Mathare.
Earlier today, Raila's daughter Winnie said a tear gas canister was thrown at his car before fire was opened.
In a statement by Lone, Winnie said a gunshot was what damaged the windscreen of the car her father travelled in from the JKIA in Nairobi. The car was damaged on Jogoo Road as the two moved along surrounded by his supporters.
A six-judge bench has dismissed petitions challenging President Uhuru Kenyatta's election and upheld his victory.
Chief Justice David Maraga said the Supreme Court upheld Uhuru's re-election in the re-run as two key petitions against the victory lacked merit.
In his response to the verdict, the opposition leader said President Uhuru Kenyatta's rule remains illegitimate.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.