Two police officers and a sub-county TSC director were shot dead by suspected Pokot bandits in Turkana East on Tuesday.
The Teachers Service Commission official was identified as Ibrahim Sheikh who was Turkana East sub-county director of education.
One officer was reported missing after the 4pm attack on a vehicle transporting KCSE exam papers from Kapedo.
Area AP camp inspector John Wabwire and Turkana East deputy commissioner Joseph Bullut confirmed this after the incident at Lomelo.
"The car returning KCSE exam papers from Kapedo was attacked by bandits at Kasarani area, the same area where 22 police officers were killed three years ago," Wabwire said.
He said a group of AP, GSU and KDF officers were searching for the missing officer.
A statement said several nine people, including the driver and a pupil, were injured in the ambush.
Driver Amos Maina was shot in the abdomen but managed to reach Lomelo AP camp. He and the others who were injured were taken to Lomelo dispensary.
"Inspector Sammy Kamwara was badly bruised on the face," the statement stated.
The other survivors were identified as Moses Nyowino, Kevin Muiru, Patrick Cheburet, Japheth Bosongo, James Mwangi, Benson Mbungua, George Omune and Kennedy Tirop.
"They were injured on various body parts but are in stable condition," the police said.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.