The national government, through the National Water Conservation and Pipeline Corporation, has begun sensitising Isiolo locals about the Sh20 billion dam project along River Ewaso Nyiro.
The locals had opposed the project, which is part of Vision 2030.
The dam is expected to supply water to three counties - Laikipia, Samburu and Isiolo.
Residents of Laikipia and Samburu counties support the project.
Isiolo politicians said residents who live downstream and who solely depend on the river will suffer during construction.
Last Friday, Governor Mohamed Kuti visited the site in Oldonyiro ward.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.