Former Changamwe MP Ramadhan Kajembe has said his son died after his body rejected one of his kidneys transplanted two years ago.
Seif Kajembe died at Muljibhai Patel Urological Hospital in Gujarat, India, on Tuesday at about 3am Kenyan time.
The Kenya Ferry Services chairman said his son suffered an illness that forced the transplant carried out in India.
"Recently, his body rejected that kidney and we had to take him back to India," he told journalists at his home in Changamwe.
Seif, who was an heir apparent to Kajembe's political dynasty, spent most of the last two weeks at the hospital.
Doctors there had advised another kidney transplant in case of problems.
"We had found a donor from the family who was willing to give a kidney to Seif," the veteran politician said.
Three days ago, Seif’s condition worsened and he was rushed to ICU.
"Doctors did the much they could while we at home prayed for him but Seif died early this morning," Kajembe said.
Arrangements to transport the body back home are being made.
The Kenyan ambassador to India and family members who had been staying with Seif are executing the plan.
"We will inform the public about the time the body will arrive based on when it will leave India on the first available flight," Kajembe said. "Only then will we know the date, place and time of burial."
Seif has left behind a son and a daughter.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.