Governor Charity Ngilu has asked the Kitui chief officer who served in Julius Malombe's government to go on leave ahead of his retirement.
County secretary Alex Kimanzi appears to have survived the purge that saw Ngilu issue letters to 11 chief officers asked to go on terminal leave immediately.
The communication office said on Tuesday that the decision resulted from last week's advertisement of the positions of 14 chief officers.
But the county secretary position was also advertised.
"[This will] allow the Governor to appoint their successors," the brief stated.
Eight ministers were sworn-in at KEFRI Centre last Tuesday.
The Governor reduced the number of slots by two in a bid to create a lean team that will steer the county to greater heights of development.
The brief said: "It is understood the decision (leave) is aimed at allowing the ministers room to settle without unnecessary interference from chief officers appointed by Malombe."