Police on Tuesday fired tear gas to disperse clashing factions of members of the Bunge la Wananchi at Jevanjee garden in Nairobi.
The clash began when a group allied to NASA disrupted a meeting called by the body to elect officials for its election board.
Pro-NASA members claimed that Jubilee has sponsored its supporters to form the electoral body.
They claimed Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko had compromised some members to sabotage NASA's People's Assembly plan.
"These people have been paid to form the commission and eventually elect people who are favorable to Jubilee. They want to sabotage our agenda," Alex Odunga, a NASA supporter said.
He said that elections or formation of the electoral body involves all the Bunge La Wananchi branches in the capital and only one branch cannot conduct such an exercise.
NASA youth leader Jonah Onyango accused Jubilee of using proxies to sabotage the alliance’s agenda and vowed that such an exercise would not take place until all the branches are involved.
But Hillary Shitanda, a member accused of being a Jubilee sympathiser, defended the meeting and said none of them was bribed.
"The Constitution of Bunge La Wananchi states that every two years, elections must be held every two years. So members agreed that we put this board in place so that we can have the elections," he said.
He said that all members, NASA affiliated members included, were invited to the meeting but they declined to attend.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.