The government has suspended the sale of subsidised fertiliser at NCPB depots in the North Rift because of graft and diversion to middlemen.
Agriculture Cabinet Secretary Willy Bett said on Saturday investigations will establish if fertiliser is being sold to non-farmers who then sell to farmers at a higher price.
The suspension will last two weeks.
Anyone found to be colluding with middlemen will be punished, the CS said.
“We have suspended the sale of fertiliser for about two weeks. We suspect some people who are not farmers are buying fertiliser in huge quantities,” Bett said.
Only registered farmers are entitled to subsidised fertiliser.
They must prove the acreage of their land.
There is suspicion some traders are buying fertiliser to repackage and sell at higher prices when demand shoots up in January before the planting season.
Bett told farmers to stop selling maize at throwaway prices. NCPB is buying a 90kg bag of maize at Sh3,200.
Many farmers are selling their maize to middlemen at less than Sh2,400 per 90kg bag.
Yesterday, the government started paying farmers Sh600 million for maize delivered at the Rift Valley and Western Kenya NCBP depots.
Money has been set aside to buy 1.6 million bags of maize from farmers, the CS said.
Bett said the state has scrapped charges for drying maize at the NCBP.
The CS said although bad weather and invasion by worms caused a 20 per cent drop in maize production, the country has enough stock to last until the next season.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.