A Turkish Airlines plane developed a mechanical problem mid-air at Moi International Airport on Friday morning.
Flight TK 673 had taken off at about 3.58am with 121 passengers and six crew members on board.
The damaged part of the Turkish Airlines plane that landed at Moi International Airport in Mombasa, October 13, 2017. /ELKANA JACOB
Reports indicated an engine failed causing pilot Volkan Nihat to circle for hours as the damage was assessed. The plane landed safely at about 7.20 am.
An officer at the airport earlier said there might have been an explosion had the plane landed. He said they were trying to prevent this and ensure the safety of all passengers.
The Turkish Airlines plane that developed a mechanical problem at Moi International in Mombasa, October 13, 2017. /ELKANA JACOB
Regional police commander Larry Kieng confirmed the pilot was preparing for an emergency landing.
"All mechanisms have been put in place to ensure the safety of passengers," he said early morning.
Passengers at Moi International Airport in Mombasa following the emergency landing of a Turkish Airlines plane, October 13, 2017. /ELKANA JACOB
All the passengers were taken to Whitesands Resort and will stay there until further notice, said Turkish Airlines operations manager Mohamed Said.
"They will stay at the hotel until we get another plane. We will cater for all costs," he said
Coast regional coordinator Nelson Marwa said security agents took charge as soon as the plane developed the problem.
"We are all safe. We thank staff for their cooperation," he said.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.