Two people died yesterday after a five-storey building collapsed on Mwembe Estate, Kisii county.
One of the victims succumbed to his injuries at Christamarriane Hospital, while the second died trapped in the rubble.
Fifteen others sustained injuries. They were rushed to hospital — 11 at Kisii Teaching and Referral Hospital and four at Christamarriane.
Governor James Ongwae expressed concern that people had to lose their lives because of poor work.
County commissioner Godffrey Kegochi sent condolences to the families of the deceased and wished those hospitalised quick recovery.
Acting Health chief officer Raymond Oigara said, “Two people have been confirmed dead. One died at Christamarriane Hospital and another at the scene after he was trapped in the rubble.
“Eleven are undergoing treatment at KTHR, while four are admitted at Christamarriane Hospital.”
The victims were working in the building.
Oigara said KTRH was liaising with private hospitals to refer serious cases to other facilities outside the county.
“Our managers are working closely with the management of private hospitals to refer serious cases,” he said.
The county disaster management unit rescued the survivors. The operation was hindered for some time, as there were no rescue equipment.
Residents accused the disaster unit of taking too long to arrive at the scene.
But disaster management director Julius Tinega said they responded swiftly with a bulldozer, “which greatly helped”.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.