Skip to main content
September 25, 2018

Two women die after inferno, suicide incidents in Elgeyo Marakwet

Residents look at the rubble of houses razed in Iten on Thursday October 12, 2017. /STEPHEN RUTTO
Residents look at the rubble of houses razed in Iten on Thursday October 12, 2017. /STEPHEN RUTTO

Two women died in two separate incidents in Keiyo North, Elgeyo Marakwet County on Thursday.

In the first incident a woman was burnt beyond recognition after five houses were razed in Kambi Kichwa in Iten.

Kipkabus sub-location assistant chief Robert Kipkerich said Celina Achoki, 45, was alone in the house during the 12.30am incident.

Kipkerich said Achoki’s two children had gone for a sleepover at a neighbouring estate at the time of the incident.

He said the fire destroying household goods of an unknown value.

“I received a distress call minutes before 1am and upon reaching the scene, neighbours were struggling to put off the fire which had spread to four other rooms,” Kipkerich said.

The assistant chief said efforts to put off the fierce inferno was futile, since the houses are wooden and congested.

“Even heavy rains witnessed in the area could not put off the fire. The fire started at Achoki’s house,” he said.

He said the woman came to the house at 11.30am and may have left a stove burning and slept after overindulging in alcohol.

Kipkerich said police have taken the body to Iten County Referral Hospital for postmortem.

“We are appealing to the county government to procure a fire engine. This fire could have been put off if we had a fire engine,” he added.

A neighbour Julius Chesoni said Achoki was already dead when neighbours were woken up by a choking smoke as the fire spread to neighbouring houses.

 “We were asleep when we were woken up by the choking smoke. The fire had already reached my house. I only salvaged a bed and a few clothes,” Chesoni.

In another incident, an 80-year-old woman committed suicide at Kipkaa village, Keiyo North.

Kimoi Chebolei’s body was discovered dangling on a tree on Thursday, a day after she went missing.

Kiptuilong location chief Richard Korir said the body was discovered near a river in the area by villagers who were going to fetch water.

Korir said the body was taken to Iten County Referral Hospital as police continue with investigations.

Poll of the day