Activist Okiya Omtatah has filed a petition seeking to bar the IEBC from declaring Uhuru Kenyatta the president-elect following the withdrawal of Raila Odinga from the October 26 election.
On Tuesday, the NASA candidate Raila Odinga withdrew from the race and demanded that IEBC calls a fresh election.
"Pending the hearing and determination of this Application and/or the Petition herein the Honorable Court be pleased to issue a temporary order of injunction restraining the 1st and 2nd Respondents, its agents, servants, or any person claiming to act under its authority from proceeding to announce President Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta as the President-elect following the withdrawal of the presidential and deputy presidential candidates representing the National Super Alliance," the petition read.
Omatata said his application is extremely urgent since the NASA candidates have withdrawn from the elections.
"Both the orders sought herein are required to preserve the main motion from being rendered nugatory where successful. This application and petition will be rendered nugatory if the orders sought herein are not granted and the 1st and 2nd respondents declare President Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta the president-elect," he said.
Granting the orders sought herein will advance the cause of justice and is not determinative of the Petition. The balance of convenience favours the granting of the orders sought in this application, he said.
The court said the court has unfettered powers and jurisdiction to make the orders sought.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.