Skip to main content
September 25, 2018

Nakuru nurses adamant despite facing the sack if strike goes on

Nakuru Governor Lee Kinyanjui during official launch of Beyond zero Campaign vehicle at county headquarters, a vehicle donated to the county by African Insurance Cooperation (AIC) on Tuesday at the county headquarters. PHOTO: RITA DAMARY
Nakuru Governor Lee Kinyanjui during official launch of Beyond zero Campaign vehicle at county headquarters, a vehicle donated to the county by African Insurance Cooperation (AIC) on Tuesday at the county headquarters. PHOTO: RITA DAMARY

Striking nurses in Nakuru have said they will not go back to work until their demands are met despite threats they will be sacked.

Nakuru Kenya National Union of Nurses secretary general Syprene Odera yesterday said the nurses have not agreed on a return-to-work formula with Governor Lee Kinyanjui.

She said nurses went on strike to demand the signing of the 2013 CBA, but that has not been done.

“Nurses will only report back to work after the Council of Governors and the Salaries and Remuneration Commission agree to sign and implement the CBA,” Odera said.

The county recruited 187 health workers in December last year, following the prolonged nurses strike that has disrupted operations in all public hospitals.

Those recruited include 140 nurses, 25 lab technicians and 17 pharmacists.

The employees are, however, not able to conduct major operations.

On Tuesday, Kinyanjui ordered the striking nurses to report back to work by Friday, failing which they will be sacked.

He said he will not sit back and watch as Nakuru residents suffer.

Terming the ongoing strike illegal, Kinyanjui said although the nurses deserve to be paid well, they also have an obligation to serve the taxpayer.

He said it is unfortunate that despite holding several meetings with the nurses’ officials, a section of employees are not willing to report to work, leading to increased suffering among Kenyans.

Kinyanjui said the county will on Monday next week advertise positions on those nurses who will not go back to work.

The governor spoke during official launch of the Beyond Zero Campaign mobile clinic at the county headquarters.

It was donated by the African Reinsurance Corporation.

The governor said under his leadership, his main agenda is to improve health that has in the past performed dismally amid numerous strikes.

“Development can only be achieved if people are healthy. We need proper structures to manage the sector that will enhance smooth service delivery,” Kinyanjui said.

Leaders of the nurses union have been asked to convince their members to resume duty and await the report of a task force formed by the governor to look into ways of bringing order in the sector.

The six-man task force has until September 30 to complete its work and make its report public.

There is total of 1,200 nurses in the county and 200 doctors who man hospitals.

 

 

 

Poll of the day