Burly Gor Mahia midfielder Ernest Wendo has belatedly earned the Sports Journalists Association of Kenya (Sjak) Player of the month of May. Wendo pipped the likes of Tusker goalkeeper Duncan Ochieng and Ulinzi Stars forward Stephen Waruru to claim the honor that comes with personalized trophy, a 49 inch LG TV, Sh100,000 and an additional Sh50,000 to be shared amongst his K’Ogalo teammates.
“I am pleased to win this award. It, off course, could not have been easy without my teammates whom I am grateful to,” said Wendo while receiving the award from one of the sponsors, Moses Marji of LG.
Wendo has grow in influence at Gor since mid-last season, having played as an understudy to Khalid Aucho and Collins Okoth.
”I have had to work hard to be where I am. I have to keep working to improve and then leave everything to the coaches and God to determine where my career goes next,” said the hard tackling midfielder nicknamed ‘Casemiro’ after Real Madrid Brazilian star for his ‘take no prisoners’ approach to the game.
Wendo has not only emerged as an influential player for his side who are nine points clear at the top of the table, but has recently become a regular call up to the national team where he has been tipped to be key in the Harambee Stars midfield alongside skipper Victor Wanyama.
“It is every players’ dream to represent his country and I am very proud and humbled to be considered for call ups. But that is only where the hard work begins and really looking forward to do that,” he remarked. Wendo has recently been hampered by injuries that has seen him feature only intermittently for the title favorites but the player is not worried that his absence can have a detrimental effect to the team.
“At Gor, we have very many quality players who deserve to play and with a new coach - Dylan Kerr - probably with a new system every body must work hard to earn the coaches’ trust,” Wendo said.
The May award according to the organisers was pushed forward because of a raft of reasons that included Gors absence due to the trip to Tanzania for the Sportpesa Super cup which Gor won and earned the right to play English Premier league side Everton. Incidentally it was in this match that Wendo limped off injured slowing down the momentum he hard built in the campaign and is now working hard to regain.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.