The US Department of State has issued a travel alert warning of possible violence over the October 17 repeat presidential election.
"Rallies, demonstrations and protests may occur with little notice," the department said in an alert issued on September 13.
The fresh election is between President Uhuru Kenyatta and NASA leader Raila Odinga, who both command a huge following.
The US noted that as with all major events, there is the opportunity for "criminal elements or terrorists" to target participants and visitors.
"Even events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence."
The warning asked US citizens to avoid visits to six counties - Mandera, Wajir, Garissa, Tana River, Lamu and parts of Kilifi county.
"You should avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations," read the alert.
"Although there is no indication that US citizens may be targets of violence, you are urged to exercise caution and remain abreast of the security situation throughout the electoral period."
The citizens were also asked to monitor media and local information sources regarding election-related developments.
This came barely a week after the US urged travellers to Kenya to take precautions against the threat of al Shabaab terrorists.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.