Three fishermen lost their lives on Wednesday after their boat capsized in Lake Victoria.
Ibrahim Okal Oyugi, Raymond Otieno and Tobias Ajwala died after strong winds overturned the boat at Uwii beach in Suba North constituency.
Beach management unit chairman Joseph Olando told journalists five fishermen were on board.
"Two of the fishermen managed to swim to safety. It is unfortunate the three lost their lives after they were overwhelmed by strong waves."
Olando said the fishermen were returning from an expedition at the time of the accident.
Area OCPD Wilson Nanga said on Thursday that one body was been retrieved and that the search for the other two was underway.
"We appeal for calm as we are working together with local divers to ensure the bodies are recovered."
The body was taken to Kirindo mortuary.
Nanga urged all fishermen and other Lake Victoria users to observe safety measures during their operations.
"We urge everybody to put on a safety jacket before getting into the lake as a precautionary measure," he said.
Boat accidents have become rampant and authorities have been accused of laxity in enforcing safety measures.
Also read: Nine dead after boat capsizes in Lamu
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.