Football Kenya Federation (FKF) president Nick Mwendwa yesterday said the completion of Isiolo Airport was a major boost towards hosting Chan matches in January at the Meruâs Kinoru Stadium.
Speaking during inspection tour of Kinoru Stadium by the Confederation of Africa Football (Caf) officials, Mwendwa said the Isiolo facility will make logistics easier to host Group âDâ matches at Kinoru. He said they are working round the clock to ensure they meet the Chan deadlines and ensure the event is held in Kenya. Mwendwa said already they have identified the hotels for the four teams that will be hosted in Meru.
Kinoru is one of the four stadia earmarked to host the Chan tournament matches and Sports Kenya is upgrading Phase Two of the facility to a tune of Sh892 million after signing a Memorandum of Understanding with Meru County Government who built Phase One of the project at a cost of Sh200 million. Other facilities set to host matches during the January event areâNyayo Stadium, Moi, Kasarani and Kipchoge Keino Stadium in Eldoret.
Local Organising Committee (LOC) chief executive officer, Hebert Mwachiro, said the grass surface that will be put in Kinoru will be similar to the one used in by Russia ahead of the 2018 World Cup. âBesides, we intend to fit floodlights of high quality, public address systems and screens. We will also number the seat as per the Fifa and Caf security requirement,â he said. The stadium has recently hosted SportPesa Premier League matches with Tusker FC making the venue their home ground.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.