NASA cliamed yesterday it has raised Sh1 billion since its presidential candidate Raila Odinga made a public appeal to his supporters to contribute money for his campaigns.
The money, raised in a record four days, will oil NASA’s campaign wheels to counter Jubilee’s strong financial war chest.
Despite Jubilee politicians making a mockery of the fundraiser, the drive seems to be bearing fruit, surpassing targets and reinvigorating the opposition.
About Sh850 million has been raised through the paybill number targeting low-income earners while the bank accounted had been credited with Sh260 million by Monday evening.
“We are unstoppable. They thought we didn’t have enough money, but, for sure, I can tell you our reconciliations show we have more than Sh1 billion,” a top ODM official who is among the three signatories said.
The money is being collected by ODM because Raila - the NASA joint presidential candidate - is running for the top seat on the Orange party ticket.
The ODM official, who could not be named because of the sensitivity of the issue, said the party is targeting more than Sh2.5 billion in the coming days.
This amount would be the highest ever to be raised by a political party through a public fundraising initiative to finance campaigns in Kenya’s history.
“We are overwhelmed by the support we are receiving,” he said.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.