Police in Rangwe on Tuesday arrested a 17-year-old secondary school student for allegedly being in possession of a pistol.
The incident left the entire Orero Boys' community in shock.
The KCSE candidate admitted owning the gun after he was arrested and interrogated by police.
He led the officers to a fence in which he had hidden the pistol in a shallow hole covered with dry grass.
"A student leaked information to one of the teachers that the student owned a gun," principal Dickens Bula said.
He said they ordered a section of students and teachers to secretly investigate the matter after receiving the report.
"We conducted an investigation which involved both teachers and students but it failed," Bula said.
Area OCPD Esau Ochorokodi said the weapon was in good condition.
"We have tested the pistol and found that it can be used but it did not have bullets," Ochorokodi said.
He said the boy revealed he obtained the gun from a relative who lives in the US.
"He has not revealed his motive of possessing the gun but we are still interrogating him."
The OCPD said the learner will be taken to court once investigations are completed.
The principal said the boy’s academic records showed he is an average student.
"He joined this school in form one but has never dropped out. He has been attaining between grade C (plain) and B (minus)," Bula said.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.