President Uhuru Kenyatta (pictured)yesterday cautioned politicians against hate speech.
He warned that the government will take stern action against anyone found spreading tribal animosity.
Uhuru asked Jubilee Parliamentary Group and its affiliate members to unite Kenyans ahead of the new presidential on October 17.
âLet us campaign on the platform of unity and development and we should not allow ourselves to be drawn into petty politics as well as the politics of tribal animosity,â Uhuru said.
The Head of State warned the leaders that anyone found engaging in hate speech has no place in Jubilee. He said they will face the music.
âThe party has no place for anyone who spreads hatred and we are very firm on this,â Uhuru said.
âJubilee is a national party and it represents all Kenyans of every ethnicity, religion and region,â he added.
He told MPs that Jubilee Party encourages internal democracy and the Parliamentary Group meeting, which will be held every month, will be used as a forum to nurture democracy.
âIf you have issues kindly raise them within the party, so that when we go out to the public we are one thing,â Uhuru said.
âThe party belongs to all of us and feel free to talk so that we can have dialogue,â he added.
The meeting was also addressed by Deputy President William Ruto, who urged the partyâs MPs to be anchors of unity.
National Assembly Majority leader Aden Duale and Senate Majority leader Kipchumba Murkomen also spoke at the meeting held at State House Gardens.
On Monday, both Gatundu MP Moses Kuria and former Machakos Senator Johnstone Muthama were arrested over hate speech.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.